Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A field trip and a bunch of emotions!

DS who is barely 2.5yrs old had his first field trip with his little friends and teachers to Sulphur Creek Nature Preserve and ofcourse his chopper mommy chaperoned!! I took the day off from work yesterday to accompany DS and his friends on this field trip. We were supposed to arrive at the school by 8:45am and that's a challenge as DS refuses to cooperate in the mornings and I hate to make him cry in the morning so usually I play along and let him take his own sweet time. So yesterday morning as soon as we woke up (at our usual 7am) I told him that if he behaves like a good boy and co operate with mommy then mommy and DS could go on a field trip along with his friends. He asked me to make sure that mommy is not going to Owacle (his word for Oracle) and if she is really going to spend the whole day with him and I said yes. so he played happily along with me and we were out the door by 8:35am. So by 8:45 we reached the preschool and I just took him out of the car and we walked into the class. Once we were in I wanted to remove his jacket and bent down only to see little tears rolling down my sweetheart's cheeks and it about broke my heart. Totally surprised I asked him why he was sad and he told me "No pweschool or owacle mommy, only field twip" and that's when I realized that I did not set the expectations right and I should have told him that we will have to board the bus in his school. The next 10 mins were just plain horrible. All his three teachers tried to tell him that we are all going but my little guy kept crying - not too loud mind you - that silent cry which literally breaks your heart bcoz you can feel his pain and disappointment and yet don't know how to console him!!! So after 10 mins - what seemed like eternal - the bus came by and then the same little guy who was silently crying was all smiles and jumping up and down singing "wheels on the bus go"...So we went to the preserve and he had the time of his life there. This isn't the first time that he went to a zoo or that he saw animals but he absolutely loved it and I think I know why - his mommy was with him and his little friends and teachers spending a day out and it's not a weekend. He kept telling me "I love you way too much mommy" through out the trip, kissed me every opportunity he got and gave me the best hugs in the world. So I realized how much he truly misses us during daytime and how much he loved doing that little outing yesterday. That time off from work was the best I ever had!!!!! AND for a change none of my project deadlines or piled up work came to my mind even for a single second - well - atleast not until he went to bed at 10pm last night!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment