Wednesday, July 15, 2009

New identity, new citizenship, new passport

Today I am going to become an American officially. I am going to pledge my allegiance to the United States of America - Land of the Free and Home of the Brave!! I can't believe that I am going through with this and really have mixed feelings about it. Hence the blog - to just help me sort out my feelings. Don't get me wrong, I am happy that the United States has accepted me to be her citizen but part of me wants to be identified as both Indian and American. So for starters, I can never ever vote in India again - but I was eligible to vote for the past 13 years and how many times did I cast a vote you might ask - NEVER! Yah that's right, I never got a chance to cast my vote. I will have to get a VISA to go to my country (or a PIO or OCI card whatever that is) and I think this is what's bothering me the most. But the bright side is I don't need VISA to enter a lot of other countries with an American Passport - good thing I love to travel and this works in my benefit. So come to think of it, I remember my struggle to get a student visa very very very well, so why am I complaining now? I don't know, may be because I have to complain about something and have some drama :) :). Ok, I think I will look at it as yet another immigration documentation to get done with! And then I will keep thinking about a post on how women love drama in their life for a later time and that will be my first post as an American!

I Love India and I Love America!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Srirama, good to hear from you on my blog. Good writer antha ledhule, yeah Sarita is awesome, I suggested she write a book. You seem to be doing pretty well too, read a few posts here. Would love to hear more about Vishal here and his antics :).

    ReplyDelete